What We Do
Planned Densification LLC’s mission is to provide consulting services, to plan and develop real estate, and to generate and implement investment programs. Primary business services are:
- Situational Assessments for Planned Densification–
- Market research regarding current and future markets and uses (economic, demographic, psychographic)
- Identification of stakeholders and stakeholder benefits programming
- Public-private partnership opportunities and structuring
- Design and construction techniques for densification
- Investment analysis and structuring: equity, debt, and tax components
- Analysis of feasibilities (market, financial, project feasibility) for real estate development
- Economic development circumstances and strategy
- Fiscal impact analysis
- Municipal plans and codes alignment
- Project entitlement and permitting needs and strategies
- Asset management needs and strategies
- Marketing and occupancy strategies and tools
- Business process redesign for overall implementation
- Acquisition and development for Planned Densification projects
- Generating investment programs for the planning, finance, building, and harvesting of future densification.
These services can be applied with ground-up projects such as greenfield and brownfield assets, and with redevelopment that include the recent emergence of sprawl repair and suburban retrofits. Planned Densification can add value to projects to increase profitability, fill equity gaps due to project devaluation, and add build-out value to solve problems with loans and portfolios.
We have two overarching objectives with our Planned Densification services.
- First — to analyze and strategize each project based upon the needs of the real estate development process, with its rubric of feasibilities and need to coordinate the many disciplines and timing requirements of real estate development.
- Second — to understand business process change needs in order to accomplish increased density and, indeed, to accomplish the many urban betterment programs emerging today.
Stakeholder Benefit Network
If you engage Planned Densification LLC, you may realize a number of benefits for your organization and for your partner-stakeholders.
- Additional build-out value to projects by capturing market share over a longer period of time.
- Additional profit because of increased economic capture over time.
- Increased return on both capital and time invested because of additional horizontal and vertical phasing to projects. Time and money spent with entitlement, community work, project feasibility, branding, and project identity is leveraged—you can in effect have two or three projects in one.
- Ability to generate plans that are better tailored to specific markets, including ability to densify short- or long-term, slowly or more rapidly—as the market, users, and other circumstances suggest. Planned Densification’s flexibility decreases market risk.
- Possibility of adding additional project value, revenue, and profit to existing investments.
- Greater security when additional project, created with densification, value adds favorable leverage to standard financial ratios and capital requirements.
- A structure for longer relationships with developers, which will leverage time spent on due diligence and promote costs.
- Greater land productivity—accomplishing more with existing land assets in a municipality.
- A means to achieve better urban form, such as polycentric plans, and a mix of densities within pedsheds and communities. Higher density in selected areas supports lower density in other areas, such as facilitating a mix of densities within a community unit.
- Reduced need for redevelopment agencies and their project and department funding.
- Greater return on investment for infrastructure built.
- Reduced need for total infrastructure, and thus reduced need for infrastructure financing.
- Better ability to provide open space, agriculture/farming land, and recreation land while still capturing development.
- Potential for greater capture of regional businesses for tax revenues.
- Higher density around transit to increase ridership and transit return-on-investment.
- A company, Planned Densification LLC, that can build a project that becomes a model for other locations and developers in your jurisdiction.
- Where appropriate, Planned Densification’s corollary Planned Disassembly can allow municipalities to reduce cost and management burdens when dictated by economic, demographic, or other market factors.
For development professions, and urban betterment advocates and organizations:
- Potential to increase the level of success of your projects wherein density is desired.
- A means of adding a key aspect of sustainability to your projects.
- A realistic, whole-system view of real estate development needs in order to help get projects built, not just conceptualized or designed from the perspective of single disciplines.
For neighborhoods and communities:
- A means of allowing demand factors such as demographic and economic change to stimulate a more natural coevolution of the built environment.
- Increased vitality in designated areas because of increased, well-planned density.
- A more predictable, harmonious balance of higher and lower density areas.
Bullet Point Briefings
Specific applications of Planned Densification
- Agricultural Preservation: How to Save California Farmland? Make Urban Land More Productive
* * *
For more information, please email us: inquiries [at] PlannedDensification.com, or call us at (760) 753-7800.